1. Acne is a skin condition that involves the oil glands at the base of hair follicles.
2. Acne commonly occurs during puberty.
3. Acne is not dangerous, but can leave skin scars.
3. Types of pimples include whiteheads, blackheads, papules, pustules, nodules and cysts.
4. Approximately three-quarters of 11 to 30 year-olds will get acne at some time.
5. Acne can affect people of all races and all ages.
6. Experts believe the primary cause is a rise in androgen levels (hormone).
7. A susceptibility to acne could also be genetic.
8. Treatment for acne may depend on how severe and persistent it is.
9. Acne can be affected by the menstrual cycle, anxiety and stress, hot and humid climates, oil based makeup, greasy hair and pimple squeezing.